How To Clean Soft Furnishing
Keeping your house clean and tidy is not just to make it look nice, but vital for keeping bacteria and dirt at bay. Cleaning your upholstery and soft furnishing often also helps with the longevity of the fabric, meaning you won’t have to replace it as often!
What Is Soft Furnishing?
Firstly, what is soft furnishing? Soft furnishing is anything covered in cloth, such as curtains, chairs, and sofas.
What Are the Different Types of Sofa Fabric?
Cotton is used the most as it is usually the cheapest type of fabric. It is comfortable, stable, and soft to the touch.
Although it’s durable, it stains easily, so may not be the best choice for everyday living use.
Wool is a very durable fabric, and perfect for high traffic areas. It is resistant to staining, however, when wet it can give off an odour that is hard to get rid of.
Leather is one of the most durable fabrics and is used a lot for upholstery. It’s perfect for high-traffic areas, especially for families with pets. Leather is very easy to clean, especially if you have animals who shed a lot (or kids who spill food/liquids)!
How To Clean Soft Upholstery
Cleaning and maintaining your soft upholstery, either in your living room, bedroom or conservatory, will prolong the life of it. Here are our top tips for properly cleaning your soft upholstery:
- Make sure to dust your upholstery often. This stops dirt and crumbs from wearing away the fabric. Your vacuum cleaner should have a soft brush attachment to help suck all those nasties up!
- If you have pets, then you know pet hair will get everywhere! It’s the same with your upholstery. A good little trick is to wrap some tape around your fingers, so the sticky side is on the outside, and gently tap your upholstery to pick up the hair.
- Wash removable cushion covers (always read the label). If the covers cannot be removed, have them dry cleaned by a professional.
- Turn your cushions around weekly to make sure they get even wear on each side.
How To Clean A Leather Sofa
Leather sofas need slightly different care compared to other fabrics. Here are some tips on how to clean your sofa made with leather:
- Dust the leather as often as possible with a cleaning cloth
- Occasionally apply a leather conditioner and protection cream to protect against drying out or stains
- Remove dirt by using a soft damp cloth
- Leather will crack if near direct heat, so make sure to place leather sofas/chairs away from radiators or other sources of direct heat.
House Proud Finish
House Proud Finish is a carpet, upholstery, floor, and oven cleaning specialist.
We use the best upholstery cleaning products from local cleaning experts who are also based in West Sussex. So, when you use us, you’re supporting the locals!
Get in touch today for a free, no-obligation quote. Or give our friendly team a call on 0800 6446545.
We look forward to cleaning your upholstery.